Friday, September 18, 2009

Lititz~



I moved back to my hometown in June. Lititz is a quaint town in Lancaster County (pop. 41,554) I live within a fews steps of the square. The General Sutter Inn is just around the corner. General Sutter founded Sacramento, California. He was a resident of Lititz from 1871-1880, and is buried in the Moravian Church cemetery.

I can walk across the street to my bank. Down the street to the post office. My insurance company is across the hall from me. Lititz was founded in 1757 by the Moravians. At one time, you had to be a Moravian to live in Lititz. Now the composition is just white. (97.23%) I took a walk today and observed the history along Main. The Mueller House, a 1792 house offers a glimpse into the Moravian way of life. The Pretzel House, the oldest commercial bakery in the US, and the Wilbur Chocolate factory where Wilbur buds and chocolate sweets permeate thru the town's charm.

I pass by the Linden Hall, 1746, the oldest girls boarding school in the nation. They proudly display a sign proclaiming the "Highest SAT scores in the County."
The gift shops are brimming with antiques, along with trinkets from today. Tourists slowly make their way to each window's eye candy. Cafe chocolat features chocolate dipped strawberries in the window. It is fall and the leaves are starting to drop. Lititz is postcard perfect. Or...is it?

Today the Chief Operating officer of the Ambulance Fund was arrested for embezzling nearly half a million dollars of investments the association had made. He is in jail in lieu of the same amount of money in bail as he stole.

In 2005, a Mayoral candidate and church leader pulled out of the race because of inappropriate relations with a pre-teen.

A Warwick HS teacher was arrested in 2007 in a Blazer for having sex with one of his students. A music teacher and band director, he was part of a HS that had a long proud tradition of marching band. I was a part of that in the 70's and I was sad to hear that. Talk about marching to the sound of a different drummer!

In 2008, an Assistant Band director was arrested. Same tune.

A Warwick basketball coach, not long before those incidences was arrested. Also, Foul on the play. I think it is called crossing the line.

Last year, shot glasses were given out to students at my Warwick HS as prom party favors.


"In my little town
I grew up believ--ing
God keeps his eye on us all
And he used to lean upon me
As I pledged allegiance to the wall
Lord I recall
My little town"

paul simon

Where has my little town gone?

No comments:

Post a Comment