Sunday, April 19, 2009

OOPS THERE GOES ANOTHER LEGEND


High Hopes was Harry Kalas's theme song....about an old ant trying to pick up a rubber tree, and a ram trying to butt a a hole in in a dam. Harry died in a booth, getting ready for another day at the ballpark he never called a job. Just like ants move things, and rams ram things, Harry was made for the call.

65,000 plus on their feet here at Veteran's Stadium The Tugger needs one more...Swing and a miss! Yes, he struck him out! Yes, they did it! The Phillies are world champions! World champions of baseball! It's pandemonium at Veterans Stadium! All of the fans are on their feet. This city has come together behind a baseball team!...Phillies are world champions! This city knows it! This city loves it!

His golden voice was one I had listened to under the covers as a young boy many a night. West coast games, I could not stay up and watch. But mom said nothing about me listening on my dad's transistor. Before true clarity of the IPOd, there was the constant static of the transistor radio. Harry's voice rebounded off the AM towers from San Francisco to my bed, and I was fascinated. I had High Hopes someday I could be on the radio like Harry. When going to the Vet as a youngster, Ii spent as much time trying to get a glimpse of Harry and
"Whitey" Richie Ashburn in the broadcast booth, as I did watching the players on the turf.

Richie Ashburn passed away September 9th 1997, in NY, the latter part of the season. I was listening to the radio, as I was parking my car, ready to walk into my radio station.

Harry passed away in DC April `13th as the season was still a new one.

That day, the Philles, I knew somehow would never sound the same again. Just like the day the music died, that was the day the "voice" died.

My ode to Harry and Whitey~

One smoked cigars and one smoked a pipe,
One was low key, the other had hype.

One wore a golf cap, the other white shoes,
As they rooted their home team
never singing the blues.

One played the game, the other just dreamed,
In awe of each other, or so it sure seemed.

Working together, like an Abott and Costello,
"It's Outta Here!" Harry would bellow~!

Harry called every Michael Jack Home Run
548 as Richie colored each one~

For 27 years, two voices were heard...
I myself, missed hardly ever--- one word.

Sometimes a voice just lives eternal,
Harry and Whitey, were truly fraternal

Echoes of their voices will live deep down inside....
So Harry and Whitey... thanks for the ride!


Kalas made his final call on April 12, 2009during the Phillies game against the Colorado Rockies:

Bouncing ball to Chase Utley , this should be the game, Chase throws him out and that will be it as the Phils win 2 out of 3 here at Coors Field coming back to take this one by a score of 7 to 5.

I say..................................Harry Kalas YOU are THE MAN!!!!!


So any time your gettin low
stead of lettin go
Just remember that ant
Oops there goes another rubber tree plant!


Rest in Peace Richie and Harry! We will never forget you!

No comments:

Post a Comment